Kev and I swap scripture almost every morning. It's something we do to keep each other going as we go through our days. This morning after I received his reply to what I had sent, I thought how cool it was and how thankful I am that we "encourage" each other that way. Then very clearly, I heard the Lord say, "My word is MORE than just encouragement, it's TRUTH."
Oh my goodness. Of course, it is.
It's so much more than just an "atta boy", more than positive thinking and more than "warm fuzzies". Now, there can be no denying that a kind word, a generous word, a happy word - all have tremendous power in a person's life ... (And let me say here, that the power that comes from any positive - or negative words - also comes from God, as we are created in His image.) ...
BUT --- the Word of God is ultimate power. It is Truth we can stand on, count on, build our lives on and trust to be fulfilled regardless of any circumstance. His word gives us absolute assurance; complete certainty. He who promised is faithful. Period. ~ Amazing.
He spoke the worlds into existence. With His word, there was light and darkness, land and seas and animals in both, stars and sun in the sky and with His breath human life was created. As if that wasn't enough, with His word, He promised descendants more than the stars to Abraham, children to barren women, wisdom and honor to kings and people, a savior's birth to a young girl and - to us all. Still more: His word healed the sick, cast out wickedness, raised the dead, fed thousands, promised provision, blessing and hope, saved millions and will save countless more. His words proclaimed, "I am with you.", "It Is Finished." and "I am preparing a place for you."
The power of His word is limitless.
When He created us, He imparted to us all that He is. His intention was for us to reign in life on earth (Romans 5:17). He said we would do all He had done and more. (John 14:12) His desire is that we honor Him, are a blessing to others, that we live for Him, in His light on His path. His hopes for us are that of any good father. He wants our lives blessed beyond all measure and He knows He and His Word are the way to that life.
One of the ways we are to do this is to "speak" His Word. Over and over He tells us to pray, to confess and to proclaim/preach His Word into ourselves and into each other. He also warns us to be careful and to "guard" the words we speak, that there is life and there is death on our tongue. In them, there is overwhelmingly great power.
There are so may truths that demonstrate this world changing power of God's words, but one of my very favorites is that of Ezekial. I can see his face clearly as he stands over the valley of dry bones. I can hear his voice tremble when he start to prophesy over them. I can hear his heart say, "Seriously??!!", but when instructed by God, his mouth say, "O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! Thus says the Lord God to these bones:“Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live. I will put sinews on you and bring flesh upon you, cover you with skin and put breath in you; and you shall live. Then you shall know that I am the Lord.”" I can hear and see the bones beginning to rattle and move and try to get up. I can see Ezekial's face in wondered, amazement and utter awe. And when God asks him to speak to the winds, to command them enter the bodies to give them breath, without a thought, his faith does it. "So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army." Wow.
I love that, don't you? Even if he was worn down and his faith little, he trusted God enough to speak when He said to and then, like so many others, he witnessed the truth of God's word first hand - dry, dead, deserted and lifeless bones became "An exceedingly great army". Miraculous.
Imagine with me for a minute, if we all believed in His power, trusted His goodness toward us and used His words, rather than just our own, to bless, edify, encourage, create and build up. If we sent more than just "happy thoughts", or "good vibes" to each other ... if we sent out "powerful, fervent prayers" and words filled with faith and life to each other?
I'm unbelievably thankful for His Word. I'm so thankful for His wisdom which reminds me daily to draw near to Him through His Word. I am thankful and blessed in knowing from His Word, that He is always near to me and mine.
May His word always be in my heart and on my lips. May I only speak His words over my family and friends, over all those I know and those I don't.
“If you realized how powerful your words are, you would never say a negative word.”
~ Peace Pilgrim paraphrased
No comments:
Post a Comment